Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Masada 'n More: Rides, Ramps and Resorts

This morning we woke up in a Bedouin tent (after a night interrupted by stray cats and birds!). After a yummy breakfast, we boarded camels, two people per camel. Although at first I was terrified, soon I was riding 'no hands' and utterly enjoying myself on the newly named Cameron the Camel (Liron chose the name).







After camel riding, we traveled to Masada where we hiked up the Roman ramp, created during the Roman siege of Jewish rebels on Masada. Some scholars believe the Romans used Jewish slaves to build the ramp so the Jews would not fire down upon the builders. At the top, we had Tefillah in a two-thousand-year-old sanctuary, while other tourists watched us with interest and even joined us in singing טוב מה הינה. Afterwards we learned the story of the besieged Jews who, rather than submit to the Roman capture, took their own lives when it was clear that all was lost. Next we hiked down the Snake Path (so named because it winds and twists like a snake) all the way to the bottom where we were rewarded with ice cream and coupons to buy souvenirs.





Another drive later, we arrived at the Dead Sea resort where we ate a quick lunch and where most people continued on to the Dead Sea itself by trolley. The largest grains of salt I have ever seen in my life gave the ground in front of the sea an almost solid crust. After the initial pain of the salt stinging all my previously unnoticed wounds, I realized that I was effortlessly floating! It was amazing. Unfortunately, some people had a lot of cuts and so weren't able to enjoy it. But I at least loved it. I also plastered myself with salty mud which made my skin very soft. The whole experience was a lot of fun. But as much as I loved the Yam Hamelach, I must say that taking a swim in a regular pool right afterwards was pure bliss.



Then, on the way to ירושלים, we were asked to close the curtains of the bus and blindfold ourselves. From there we were led to a beautiful vantage point from which we could get our first gorgeous view of the Holy City of ירושלים (a real נפלא נוף!). The next and final stop was the hotel where we ate dinner and played a game of ‘Speed Dating’ to get to know each other better. Now it's time for bed so I'll just sign off by saying that this trip has been incredible so far and I can't wait for tomorrow and the rest of the trip!  


 - שלוםGavi/גבריאלה

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bahai and Bye-Bye!

To start our last day in Israel, we woke up at  6:00 A.M.  and packed our stuff onto the bus to leave the hotel. We were driving for a whi...